My slice of life

My slice of life
Opinionated since 1995

Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Unexpected endings

So I just finished one of my prescribed books.. "Duiwelskloof" they call it.. by André P. Brink. I do not know if I loved it or if I am just in a love-hate relationship with it.. Which would be sad and weird.

I am not going to critically analyse it now.. but it's basically a pre-historic version of Addams Family without the humour... It's completely violent, sexual and as blunt as you can get. Creepy highlights that I can remember... a girl with four breasts, a large woman with dodgy "natural medications", a cult-like community with too many ties and even more lies and a poor journalist that thought he could handle the people in duiwelskloof...

The ending was... Not what I expected? but then again! I am not sure what I wanted to see happen in the end.. Life as the books written about it can be quite unexpected. A current example, the great Robin McLaurin Williams.

We made the assumption that because he made people happy, he himself was happy. I was shocked to hear the news and all the movies I saw of him flashed through my brain, but once again, what did I expect? I made a little scenario in my head where he dies of natural causes in his holiday home on the beach.. I am supposed to know that life does not work out like the movies... Even if the person in question was in them.

A lot of people make people laugh and smile as they cry inside and try to work through their issues as quietly as they can.. This does not work. It's almost a method of self-destruction.. We have to come to terms with the fact that we can NEVER know what goes on in our best friend's head, not our significant other, not even our spouse's... We can only hope that the sadness blooms out in time and does not close in shutting everything out and keeping everything else locked in until it's too late.

Suicide is a dark place. Too dark to describe, just like the infamous Devil's valley at times. None of us could possibly fully understand.. unless my blog is available in the afterlife of course. The most important thing we must remember is that they have a peaceful blissful rest ahead from here on.

I will end my words with this quote I always loved by Robin Williams:" You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Let your diamond shine up the sky and live for those who are not with us anymore <3

No comments:

Post a Comment